I’ve decided that a less-than-one-year lease is non-negotiable. I just don’t want to lock myself into a lease until May or June next year. If all goes well, I will be traveling abroad come this time next year!
So while the rental market is still quite soft, the shorter lease requirement has eliminated a lot of prospective apartments. I am going to see a couple more apartments this / next weekend.
- $1,200 studio w/ 6 month lease. I’m going to try to negotiate them down to $1,100… seeing as they offered a $1,000 “special” for one-year leases.
- $1,150 1 bedroom (double deposit required for 6 month leases). It’d take me $3,500 just to move in!
- $850 studio w/ kitchenette with mini-fridge, street parking only. I really want a designated parking spot, so I’m not sure if this will be a deal-breaker for me. But the price is right…
- $1,045 studio w/ mini-fridge. 10-month lease.
- $1,100 1 bedroom. 9-month lease.
I really would prefer too keep my rent below $1,000. But I don’t know if I can do it – I might be pickier than I thought I’d be (not about the size, per se, but more about how new/renovated the unit is and the “feel” I get from the location).
And I’m loving Google Street View in my search – gives me a quick snapshot of what the immediate surroundings look like.